We were honored this April with the opportunity to join up with the City of Jackson’s Month of Miracles. Together as a team, we volunteered our afternoon at RIFA, Regional Inter-Faith Association, on April 22, 2015. Our patients generously donated food and money, as well as the proceeds from two nights of yoga, which we were able to give, as well as our time.
We were welcomed with open arms by Mr. Dan Ward who gladly showed us around the beautiful, organized facility. We were greeted with a smile around every corner by staff and volunteers, as he proudly discussed their various missions and outreach programs.
Collectively we learned that RIFA is more than just a food bank. Services include:
- Soup kitchen – provides roughly 150 hot meals a day, in a safe, clean, and friendly environment. With shower and laundry facilities.
- Snack backpacks – nutritious easy prep meals for about 750 children every weekend during the school year
- Food bank – provides for several non-profit groups in Madison and the seven surrounding counties.
- Relief services – available for families and individuals that find themselves in unavoidable crises.
- Thrift store – provides gently-used, donated clothing, furniture and household items at a low cost to the community.
- ROAR Project – invests in the lives of children through an after-school tutoring and mentoring program.
RIFA is a well-equipped machine serving the community; food, love and comfort; and we were blessed with the opportunity to serve.
Thanks to everyone’s generous donations we provided RIFA with 252 pounds of food.
We will continue to serve our wonderful community and look forward to volunteering in the future.